Spotlight on the Meaford Food Bank and Outreach and the amazing work they do!
Today, we are spotlighting the Meaford Food Bank and Outreach and the great work they are doing to help those in need in the Meaford area. Established in 1984, the Meaford Food Bank and Outreach provides individual, compassionate assistance to people in need, in the form of emergency food in a dignified setting, and to build health and community within the Municipality of Meaford catchment area. They are located in the bottom level of the Church of the Nazarene in Meaford, ON.
The Food Bank provides a three-day supply of food, once per month, to individuals and families who live in the Municipality of Meaford. Through creative partnerships and the generous support of their donors, the Food Bank offers a variety of dry and canned goods along with fresh produce, milk, eggs, cheese, margarine and whole grains.
The organization are members of both Feed Ontario and the Waterloo Region Food Bank Distribution Services which
provides them with the opportunity to:
● obtain bulk food allotments so that they can provide their clients with a variety of different items (frozen and dry goods)
● manage our client data and food bank activity through Feed Ontario’s Link2Feed online administration system
● benefit from Feed Ontario’s emergency hamper and SNAP programs (bulk food ordering)
In 2020, on average, the Meaford Food Bank and Outreach:
● served 62 households per month which represented approximately 160 individuals. 8% of the clients served were seniors, 55% adults and 37% were children under 18.
● registered approximately 82 new households throughout the year (28 of those were in December alone)
● distributed approximately 50 lbs of food to each household per visit
In addition to the Food Bank program, the organization also hosts a Christmas Food Hamper program, their “Adopt-A-Star” Program (Christmas gifts for children under 18 years), their Community Cafe (social hub – not currently running), Municipality of Meaford Recreation Fund and three Community Gardens.
To find out more about the Meaford Food Bank and Outreach, please visit www.MeafordFoodBankAndOutreach.org or call 519-538-4550.
To donate to the Food Bank, monetary donations can be made online via e-transfer to email@example.com or via cheque payable to Meaford Food Bank and Outreach and mailed to PO Box 3245, Meaford, ON, N4L 1A5. Food donations can be dropped at the kiosk located at the front of the Church of the Nazarene at 34 Trowbridge Street West in Meaford (across from the post office). They are open Mondays from 9:30 until 11:30 am and Thursdays from 5 – 7 pm.
On behalf of the United Way of Bruce Grey, we thank the entire team at the Meaford Food Bank & Outreach for the great work they do!