Poverty, Health and Covid-19
What will be the impact of a possible pandemic on the Not-For-Profit and Charitable Sector? – Information Session
Monday March 16th – 7:30 am Grey Bruce Health Unit
There are 950,000 people in Ontario who rely on provincial social assistance programs.
If people are living on a fixed income such as Ontario Works ($733/month) or the Ontario Disability Support Program ($1169/month), you they be paying upwards of 70 or 80 per cent of the benefits just toward rent. That often leaves very little left over to purchase food on the best of days.
If you are a low-wage worker needing to do a shift and your rent or the hydro bill is due you will risk the chance of going into work if feeling just a little unwell. Time off could mean financial desperation or a lost job.
Part-time workers often don’t qualify for extended health benefits or extra sick time.
- How do we support our vulnerable clients during a pandemic?
- Will people need more supports than we are currently giving them? For example, instead of 3-5 days of food from the food bank, will we need to give 2 or more weeks worth of food if people are quarantined?
- What happens to our caseload if low wage workers cannot work due to economic and health issues?
- If people are relying on free community hot meal programs to eat, but are told to stay home how will they eat?
- What will happen to our fundraising efforts as a charity that relies on fundraising for our programs?
In response to these concerns the United Way of Bruce Grey is hosting an information session Monday March 16th at 7:30 am. There is no cost for local organizations to attend
This event is free to attendees, a donation jar will be out to help cover the cost of food.
Please no more than 2 attendees per organization at this time.
7:30 am – Breakfast
8:00 am – Grey Bruce Health Unit
– What is the Covid-19 virus, the science and what we know today
– Best practices for the not-for-profit sector during a pandemic
– clients and program users
…and other questions
9:00 am – Considerations for the NFP world
9:30 am – BDO Owen Sound – Real Advice for Real Situations – being financially prepared
10:00 am – Questions, wrap up, networking
This event is presented by the United Way of Bruce Grey in partnership with the Grey Bruce Health Unit and the Community Foundation Grey Bruce.
For more information on this event please contact the United Way at 519-376-1560.
For more information on Covid-19, please contact the Grey Bruce Health Unit at 519-376-9420.
For more information on community supports in your community, please call 211.