#FinancialFridays: Summer Camps & Kids Activities

As Summer approaches, I keep thinking about Summer camps and activities for my kids. I am excited to hear about the new things they are going to learn and their squeals of laughter and joy. After a long year of school and learning in a classroom, I want my kids to feel the breeze in their hair as they search for snails and get good and muddy. I want them to take time to learn a lot about something specific that they are interested in, like plants or dance. I also want to sit with others on the sidelines while my kid makes a good kick or searches for bugs and blows dandelion fluff in left field.

And these new experiences cost money. Getting help to cover some of these costs will make the experiences possible and take some of the stress away.

Bruce County – Child Activity Assistance Program (CAAP)

The Child Activity Assistance Program (CAAP) is a fund available to assist families with the cost of activities. Some of the activities that qualify are school trips, school nutrition programs, extra-curricular activities, arts and cultural programs, Scouts/Girl Guides, and many more. Bruce County families with a gross income of less than $49,466 can access this program for their dependent children under the age of 18, and receive up to $500 per child, per year.

There is a fillable application form at https://www.brucecounty.on.ca/services/human-services/child-activity-assistance-program or call 1-800-265-3022 for more information.

Grey County – Social Initiatives Funding (Recreation Subsidy)

The Recreation Subsidy is administered by the YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce. It can be used for sports, art, music or drama programs, swimming lessons, camps, and fitness memberships. Activities do not have to be done with the YMCA. Families with incomes of less than $70,000 having children under the age of 18 living with them on a regular basis can apply. There is a scale for how much per child per calendar year the family can receive. See the link for more information and application: https://www.ymcaowensound.on.ca/health-fitness-aquatics/financial-assistance/. You can also call the YMCA at 519-376-0484 ext. 227 or email socialinitiatives@osgb.ymca.ca.

Some municipalities also have recreation funds. Call 211 or visit https://brucegreycommunityinfo.cioc.ca/ to find out if your municipality has a fund.

~ Caroline