#FinancialFridays: Property Tax Information

We are offering some corrections and clarifications to the October 20th Friday’s Financial Friday post. Please read the details carefully. Bruce’s program is significantly different to Grey’s.

Are you over 65 or under 65 and living with a disability? Do you own a house or property in Grey or Bruce Counties?

You may be eligible for a Property Tax supports

This is for:

  • People with disabilities who receive Ontario Disability Support Program payments
  • Seniors 65 years and over who receive Guaranteed Income Supplement or Ontario Works payments
  • The spouse of one of the above groups who owns eligible property.

Bruce County

Bruce County offers the opportunity to possibly defer your property taxes. BUT interest still is applied to the amount that is deferred. Please call your municipality for clarification on just how this program works.

Bruce County has one application for all municipalities. Applications must be sent to the municipality in which the person lives.

Grey County

This program provides a rebate for the year-on-year property tax increase for eligible properties up to a maximum of $500. The rebate is on the eligible increase portion of your property taxes.

You do need to apply for this program. Applications are due at your local municipal office by December 31st 2023.

Each municipality in Grey County has its own application.

If you have issues applying online, speak directly with your local municipal office!

And while we are talking about owning a house, we should also highlight these programs with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation!

You can apply for a 25% refund on your CMHA insurance premium if…

  • You are making energy efficient renovations on your house or
  • If you house is already energy efficient.

CMHC’s Eco Programs | CMHC (cmhc-schl.gc.ca)